Hey Guys!!! It’s been a really long week for me…
Really miss to write but unfortunately I was a little bit busy on work and there weren’t any day off.
But well this time I want share the recipe of Quiche Lorraine!
Honestly I never learn about pastry before, but I learn about this while in pastry class in my school last week. As a chef I think it is very important to know all kind of basic pastry.
Well it’s not the best recipe out there but it’s really basic recipe to start on cooking quiche lorraine. For people who doesn’t know what is Quiche, it originally came from France, a savoury open flan of pastry crust.
I would like to call it a savoury type of tart, basically it’s also almost similar to omelette, however we will place all the egg mix in the pastry crust.
Short Pastry Recipe
Flour, General purpose
- Sift the flour into a bowl
- Cut the butter into small cubes about 1 cm square, using the tips of fingers, rub the butter into the flour until form a breadcrumbs like mixture
- Dissolve the salt in the water then slowly pour the water into the mix , work it until form a light smooth paste (NB: Remember don’t work the dough too much because it will toughen and shrink during cooking time.
- Wrap dough and rest in the fridge for at least 30 mins
- Lightly grease desired fluted flan ring with flour the line it with the short pastry
- Gently press the pastry into the flan using the tip of finger, make sure not to press to much because the pastry will shrink even more
- Rest the lined flan into fridge for 30 mins
- After rested, dock the pastry with a fork and blind bake at 160°C ( Blind bake means placing pulses or rice within the pastry ) until the pastry is half cooked ( for about 10 mins )
- Saute any desired mixture for example bacon, onion, garlic, etc ( remember to cut the mixture into small size) to increase the flavour
- Prepare egg mixture ( egg, cream, seasoning ( salt and pepper))
- Mix the savoury mixture and egg together ( make sure the mixture is not to runny )
- Pour the egg mixture into the half cooked pastry and cook for another 10 mins in the oven
- We can put morzallela at the last 2 mins of baking time to make a beautiful crispy morzallela on top